News Room

Slide the City Tickets

Harry Jerome Project

E 3rd Road Work

Green Necklace Final Section

City News from us to you

See What's New

Road Work Updates

The Shipyards - Lot 5 Development

Want to contact Mayor & Councillors?

Twitter Updates

Animal Control FAQs

Below are the answers to the most frequently asked questions regarding dog licensing and dog complaints in the City of North Vancouver.

Dog Licensing FAQs

Dog Complaint FAQs

Dog Licensing FAQs

Q. Do I require a dog licence for my dog?

A. Yes, all dogs in the City of North Vancouver are required to be licensed each calendar year. Licence tags expire December 31st.

Q. Where do I purchase a dog licence?

Dog Licences can be purchased at City Hall in the Finance Department or at Northwest Kennels (604-990-3711).

Q. What is the a phone number for the Dog Licence Department?

A. Contact the Finance Department at 604-983-7316.

Q. Why do I need a dog license tag?

A. Dog licences are mandatory in every City. The fees collected go towards City resources used to:

  • Feed and shelter your dog if it becomes lost until it can be reunited with you.
  • Transport lost dogs that require emergency care to a veterinarian.
  • Return lost dogs to their owners.
  • Help neighbours resolve animal related complaints.
  • Protect the public’s health and safety.
  • Operate a dog adoption program for animals that are not claimed.

Q. What happens if I don't have a valid dog tag?

A. Dog owners can be fined for not having a valid dog tag. Fines range from 50 to 150 dollars.

Dog Complaint FAQs

Q. Who should I contact about stray dogs in my neighbourhood?

A. Contact Animal Control to register a complaint about dogs running loose in your area. When you call you will be asked to provide the following information:

  • Your name, address and phone number
  • The address where the dog lives if you know it
  • The time and date you last saw the dog and a description of the dog.

Your complaint will be investigated as soon as time permits. Please note: Animal control does not respond to anonymous complaints.

Q. My yard doesn't have a fence can my dog run free in my yard?

A. Yes as long as your dog doesn't leave the property or act aggressively towards persons passing by.

Q. Can I let my dog run free in the parks or playgrounds?

A. All dogs must be under the control of the person who is walking them. Dogs can be walked on leash in parks where permitted. Dogs be walked off leash only in designated off leash areas. Dogs must not be walked in parks or playgrounds where they are prohibited.

Q. Can I let my dog(s) run free on trails in the City?

A. No. For the safety of others please keep your dog leashed. Many people are unaccustomed to or afraid of dogs. Their reaction to your dog running free may cause an injury or a verbal altercation. Dogs running free may also get into conflicts with other dogs.

Q. Is there anywhere in the City where we can let our dogs run free?

A. Yes, we currently have three designated off leash areas:

  1. Mosquito Creek Park (designated area only)
  2. Lynnmouth Park
  3. Kings Mill Walk (fenced & designated area in 2012-2013)
    For more in visit

Q. Who do I call if I have been bitten or my dog has been bitten by another dog?

A.If you have been bitten by a dog you should seek medical attention as soon as possible and then contact Animal Control. If your dog is bitten you should visit a veterinarian as soon as possible and then contact Animal Control.

Dog bites on a person or dog attacks on your dog should be reported as soon as possible to the City of North Vancouver Animal Control.

When calling you should be prepared to provide the following information:
Your name, address and phone numbers, (your information is kept confidential unless the dog owner disputes the allegations)

  1. Date and time of the incident
  2. Who was bitten (Dog or Person)
  3. Person name or Dogs name who was bitten
  4. Age of Person/Dog bitten
  5. Name of Clinic or attending Doctor and treatment done
  6. Where the incident happened
  7. Where the dog lives, if it is known
  8. Offending Dog owners information, if known
  9. Breed of dog and a description ie: size, color, tags seen
  10. Advise if the dog was wearing a collar or tags
  11. Have photos taken of any injuries

We will request a written signed statement detailing what happened along with the above information. Please forward any vet reports or hospital receipts. Complainants may be required to testify in court if a dog owner disputes the biting allegations.

Q. My neighbour's dog barks a lot and is disturbing me, what can I do?

A. If you feel comfortable talking to your neighbour then speak with them about the problem.  Sometimes an informal conversation solves the problem.

If conversation is not possible or it does not solve the problem, and the barking continues contact Animal Control with the details.  Animal Control will need the following information regarding the complaint:

  • Your name
  • Your address
  • Your phone number
    Note: Your personal information is kept confidential.  We contact you if releasing your information was required to pursue further enforcement action.  The City would normally seek your consent before proceeding with such action, although we reserve the right to proceed based on the public good (most often giving consideration for public safety).

    We also need the following information:
  • The address of where the dog lives (very important so we don't accuse the wrong dog and owner)
  • The date and time you last heard the dog barking continuously for more than 15 minutes.
  • A description of the dog that you know, have heard or seen barking.

Upon receipt of the above Bylaw Services sends a letter to the property owner and the dog owner’s dwelling (that is, the Occupant, if the property owner does not reside on the property with the barking dog) advising that a complaint has been received regarding excessive dog barking.

The Animal Control Officer will contact the complainant to see if the situation has improved.  If the letter does not remedy the problem, the Officer will request that you keep a dog barking log to document the barking you hear (dates, times and a brief description of what occurred including what is visible from your property).

Share |