If you have insurance coverage, submit your claim for damages to your insurance company first. Your insurance company may then submit a subrogation claim to the City in order to be compensated for their expenses and your deductible.

Please note that the City is not an insurer of private property. Like most Canadian Municipalities, the City of North Vancouver provides compensation only when it is legally liable for the damage sustained. The intent is to provide an equitable policy for the taxpaying public, who ultimately bear the cost of these claims. The City will not be held responsible for damages unless the claimant can provide evidence that the City committed a negligent act or omission which then caused the damages.

If a person feels that the City is responsible for any damage or injury sustained and wishes to make a claim, they may do so by submitting the attached claim form. Sign and date the form, attach all supporting documents and submit it to the attention of the Risk & Insurance Advisor through one of the following methods.

Regular Mail
City of North Vancouver
Insurance & Claims - Finance Dept.
141 West 14th Street
North Vancouver, BC V7M 1H9
Operations Division
After Hours Emergency

If you are unsure about how to file a claim, would like a claim form mailed, emailed or faxed to you, or you have filed a claim and have questions about the investigation or status of the claim, please call the Insurance and Risk Advisor at 604-983-7302 from Monday to Friday, between 8:30am and 5:00pm. Please note that depending on the type of claim, it may take several weeks for a determination to be made about your claim.

Once a claim is received, it is then acknowledged, investigated and responded to with a request for more information, an acceptance or a denial of liability. If a person wishes to appeal a denial of their claim they may do so through either the Small Claims Court or Supreme Court of BC.

Notice Requirement

Please note, under Section 736 of the Local Government Act, claimants are required to provide notice to the City in writing of the time, place and manner in which the damage was sustained, within two months (60 days) of the date the loss or damage occurred.

Related Documents
Share |