Dispute Your Bylaw Notice

The City will only consider a dispute of a Bylaw Notice for a valid reason. Bylaw Notices are not dismissed for frivolous reasons, such as:

  • you were unaware of the regulation
  • no one else has received a Bylaw Notice for a similar violation
  • you have never received a Bylaw Notice for this violation before
Bylaw Notices must be paid or disputed within 14 days of issue (i.e., received at City Hall). The amount owing will remain on hold until the review process is completed. Note: a paid Bylaw Notice or a Bylaw Notice in collections cannot be reviewed.

How to Dispute a Notice

To dispute a bylaw notice, you have several options:

  • Visit cnv.ezpayca.com, enter your Bylaw Notice number, and complete the online form for dispute. 
  • On the back of your Bylaw Notice, complete all fields under BYLAW NOTICE DISPUTE and submit the completed form to the City either by mail, in person, or taking a photo and emailing it to bylaw@cnv.org.

Next Steps

After your dispute form has been received by the City, a Screening Officer will review the evidence and either cancel or uphold the Bylaw Notice. The Screening Officer will contact you to advise of their decision (note: the review process may take up to three months, depending on the volume of disputes).

If the Bylaw Notice has been upheld you have the following  options:

  • Pay the Bylaw Notice at the discounted penalty rate.
  • Request an adjudication hearing. This hearing with a provincially appointed adjudicator will review the evidence and allow for your input. If the Bylaw Notice is cancelled as a result of adjudication, no funds will be owing. If the Bylaw Notice is upheld after adjudication, you will be required to pay an Adjudication Fee of $25 added to the regular rate of the Bylaw Notice (not the discounted rate).

Contact Info 

Questions about the bylaw dispute process? Contact us.

Phone: 604-982-8302 | Monday to Friday, 8:30 - 5:00pm
Email: bylaw@cnv.org

Share |