Street Use Permits

If you're planning an activity that will impact others' use of a street or part of a street, you need to submit a permit application. 

Permit Application Types

Choose the most appropriate permit type for your plans. Please email completed permit applications to for processing.

Container Permit

If you'd like to place a mobile storage container or a bulk refuse container on a City street, complete the Street Container Permit Application.

Parade Permit

If you'd like to hold a parade on City of North Vancouver streets, complete the Parade Permit Application.

Block Party Permit

If you'd like to hold a block party, street, or laneway party with your neighbours, complete the Block Party Permit Application.

Temporary Street Use Permit

If you need to close any part of the street or sidewalk for construction, reserve parking for large moving trucks, crane operations, etc., complete the Temporary Street Use Permit Application.

Oversized Vehicle Permit

If you'd like to move an over height, over length, over width, or overweight vehicle, complete the Oversize Loads Moving Permit Application.

Work Permit

A Work Permit is required for work being done in parks, lanes, sidewalks, and boulevards; complete the Street Works Permit Application.

Requirements for Permits

On-Street Parking Requirements

  • If you require the City to reserve on-street parking, there is a minimum charge of $100 for parking signage.
  • We require that the permit application, including payment, shall be completed 5 full business days prior to commencement of the permit.
  • If you live on a street with high on-street parking availability, you may choose NOT to reserve the parking.

Some closure requests may require additional business days for review and approval. Or, the start date may need to be pushed back for other reasons, such as:

  • missing or incorrect document 
  • complex or long-duration closure requests
  • installation of signs by City crews
  • planning bus detours and installing temporary bus stop infrastructure by Coast Mountain Bus Company 
  • getting a noise variance permit or Street Works permit
  • work zone conflicts with another contractor's permit area or traffic control layout. In such cases, an additional permit may not be issued as it may put unreasonable strain on the traffic in the area

Insurance Requirements

  • The company which is either doing the work, or the container company, must have the City of North Vancouver named as additional insured for $5,000,000 liability insurance prior to a permit being issued.

Contact Info

Engineering, Parks & Environment Department
Tel: 604-983-7333

Share |