Food Trucks & Mobile Food Cart Guidelines & Policy

Food Trucks that operate in the City of North Vancouver are required to have a City of North Vancouver business licence. This business licence limits the Food Truck to operating solely on public property at City approved events at the City’s plazas (such as at Shipbuilders' Square at the Shipyards) or at any of the City of North Vancouver parks, such as Caribbean Days at Waterfront Park. 

Food TrucksThe business licence does NOT give the right to sell food on City streets.

The event organizer has to have been permitted to operate on public property at an approved event (e.g.  Friday Night Market at the Shipyards).

Food Trucks Must Have:

  1. Fire Department approval.
  2. BC Health Authority “Permit to Operate”.  Issued by any Health Authority in BC and confirms the food handling practices meet provincial health standards.
  3. City of North Vancouver Business Licence. See Application

A Food Truck business licence will be issued after the Food Truck operator has provided the City with documentation that the vehicle has received certification from the following:

  1. Fire (from City of North Vancouver Fire Department).
  2. Health (from Vancouver Coastal Health or any BC health authority).
  3. Certificate of Insurance for $5 million Commercial General Liability (Naming the City of North Vancouver Additional Insured) and $2 million Automobile Liability.

The Food Truck operator should be aware that if they are applying to operate at a special event they also need approval from the Event Organizer to be there and will need to show the Business Licence.

Attention Event Organizers

Get a list of approved Food Trucks for your event. Upon request City staff will send a list of approved Food Truck business to Event Organizers in the City of North Vancouver.

"I want to thank the City of North Vancouver for providing my business details to event organizers hosting events on the North Shore. It has generated an additional income for us!!! It is a great publicity tool for us as well. Supporting small business and keeping it local is very important to us and our community." - Nicole from O'Canadawg

For further information please contact the Business Licence Division at 604-983-7356 or


Contact Info

Clare Husk
Film & Community Events Coordinator
Tel: 604-982-3910
Cell: 604-679-2525
Share |