Want to get out into our parks and get your hands dirty while making a difference? Then come join in the fun with the City Park Stewards!
Since 2001, the City has partnered with Evergreen on this fantastic award winning project called the City Park Rehabilitation Project. It was created as a means to give back to our degraded natural areas, suffering from the effects of intensive recreational use, stream bank erosion and invasive plants. Stewardship is a satisfying and rewarding way to experience the natural areas in the City and contribute in a meaningful way to the ecological health of these areas.
You can get involved! Evergreen hosts year-round public stewardship and restoration activities throughout the City of North Vancouver, including free interpretive walks, workshops and a monthly stewardship event the fourth Saturday of each month.
Our upcoming City Park Stewards events are on:
- Wednesday, July 20 | 5 pm – 8 pm - Loutet Park – Meet at the parking lot for Loutet Farm at Rufus Ave and 14th St. East. The City Park Stewards are teaming up with Edible Garden Project volunteers to remove invasive blackberry that is encroaching on both the park and the farm. Spend the evening outside, meet new people from your community, and help restore the park and farm!
- Saturday, July 23 | 9 am – 12 pm - Heywood Park – Meet in the parking lot at Hamilton Ave and 21st St. West.
- Saturday, August 27 | 9 am – 12 pm - Eat the Invaders Blackberry Bake-off. The bake-off invites people to go out and pick the blackberries before the birds spread the seeds and use them in a recipe to share at the event. Greenwood Park – Meet at the entrance of the park nearest the intersection of Ridgeway Ave and 23rd St. East.
- Sunday, September 25 | 12 pm – 4 pm *Rivers Day Celebration
- Saturday, October 22 | 9 am – 12 pm
- Saturday, November 26 | 9 am – 12 pm
Everyone is welcome and no experience is necessary. Evergreen will supply all the training, tools, gloves, and refreshments. All events go ahead rain or shine, so please come dressed for the weather, with sturdy shoes, and in clothing you don't mind getting a bit dirty. Arrive in style - please consider walking, cycling, taking public transit, or carpooling with friends to the event.
To RSVP and to learn more about this program, contact Laura Nickerson, Evergreen Greenspace Programs Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-689-0766 ext. 9253.