Want to get out into our parks and get your hands dirty while making a difference? Then come join in the fun with the City Park Stewards!
Since 2001, the City has partnered with Evergreen on this fantastic award winning project called the City Park Rehabilitation Project. It was created as a means to give back to our degraded natural areas, suffering from the effects of intensive recreational use, stream bank erosion and invasive plants. Stewardship is a satisfying and rewarding way to experience the natural areas in the City and contribute in a meaningful way to the ecological health of these areas.
You can get involved! Evergreen hosts year-round public stewardship and restoration activities throughout the City of North Vancouver, including free interpretive walks, workshops and a monthly stewardship event the fourth Saturday of each month.
Upcoming City Park Stewards Events:
- Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 12 pm - 4 pm - Celebrate Earth Day in Mahon Park - Native Plant Demonstration Garden Join the City of North Vancouver and Evergreen to celebrate Earth Day. Help us plant native trees and shrubs in the revitalized native plant demonstration garden. The meeting location for this event is next to the playground and spray park - near the entrance to the park off of Jones Ave. between 17th St. W and 18th St. W
- Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 9 am - 12 pm - Loutet Park
- Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 9 am - 12 pm - Mahon Park
- Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 9 am - 12 pm - Heywood Park
- Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 9 am - 12 pm - Greenwood Park - Blackberry Bake-off Event
- Sunday, September 24 - 12 pm - 4 pm - Creek to Creek Rivers Day event - location TBD
- Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 9 am - 12 pm - Tempe Heights Park
- Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 9 am - 12 pm - Heywood Park
Everyone is welcome and no experience is necessary. Evergreen will supply all the training, tools, gloves, and refreshments. All events go ahead rain or shine, so please come dressed for the weather, with sturdy shoes, and in clothing you don't mind getting a bit dirty. Arrive in style - please consider walking, cycling, taking public transit, or carpooling with friends to the event.
To RSVP and to learn more about this program, contact Julia Gellman, Evergreen Greenspace Programs Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-689-0766 ext. 9253.
Volunteering for Events
If you would like to volunteer for an event register here.